Pramac Racing’s rookie rider Jorge Martin surprised everyone to top the MotoGP qualifying session in the Tissot Grand Prix of Doha at the Losail Circuit Sports Club on Saturday night.
But nine-time world champion Valentino Rossi registered his worst-ever premier class qualifying result while defending champion Joan Mir finished ninth.
Meanwhile, Martin set a lap time of 1:53.106 to beat team-mate Johann Zarco by 0.157s in just his second-ever premier class qualifying session.
World championship leader Maverick Vinales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) finished third by 0.004s.
Factory Yamaha rider Fabio Quartararo led the charge against Martin, 0.017s adrift, as the first runs concluded – while Vinales was ninth and looked visibly frustrated with his effort.
But the Qatar GP winner struck back in emphatic fashion on the first lap of his second run, the Yamaha rider taking over provisional pole with a 1m53.383s.
1. Jorge Martin (Pramac Racing) – 1:53.106
2. Johann Zarco (Pramac Racing) + 0.157
3. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.161
4. Jack Miller (Ducati Lenovo Team) + 0.197
5. Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.363
6. Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo Team) + 0.548
7. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) + 0.599
8. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.639
9. Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.679
10. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 0.688
11. Stefan Bradl (Repsol Honda Team) + 1.118
12. Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 1.990